Monday, February 25, 2008





Sonal Sheth was diagnosed with a heart murmur 2 years ago.

But she ran the Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon.
Even when her knees swelled up her spirit did not flag.

Sonal says:
Taking part in the Marathon was a challenge and I like to be challenged, I like to test and push my endurance levels. I do believe it is mind over matter.
When fatigue and pain overcome me and I feel I am just going to collapse, I can't take 1 more step, at that time something in me says dont give up, and I focus my attention on my breath(as I do when I meditate) and the continued focus on breath defocusses me from the body fatigue and I end up running fast.
So when I was doing my practice runs, I often felt that just like in life, there are problems but you have to rise above them, use them as an opportunity for growth, to push your levels of acceptance, forgiveness and coping skills higher, similarly marathon running makes you do that and once you have risen above the low moments, its just a harmonious, centered focus, with no thoughts, similar to what one experiences in meditatation.
...I feel there is'nt enough awareness about developmental problems in kids and how there are solutions and 'Ummeed' is trying to fill that gap...
...so many kids and families go through suffering, a life is wasted, not helped to reach full potential only because of lack of awareness, or lack of facilities.I find it fulfilling when such people are helped...

Sonal Sheth is a trustee of Women’s Movement for Peace and Prosperity.

No comments: