Friday, January 02, 2009




In the picture from left Vimla Patil, Hafiza Golandaz, chairperson of BPWA, Advocate Veena Gowda of Majlis NGO and Uzma Nahid (Trustee WMPP, Women's Movement for Peace and Prosperity).
THE OTHER WOMAN (her rights)
Panel Discussion on LIve-in Relationship

On the 11th of December 2008, the above programme was held at the IMC (Indian Merchant Chamber)It was organized by BPWA(Business and Professional Women's Association,Bombay)Bombay,Ladies Wing of IMC and BMA.


When I first heard about: Giving rights to the Other woman' programme...I was shocked and felt: Is'nt giving rights to the 'Other woman' going to encourage men to stray, maybe some more? It is kind of legitimizing it, is'nt it?
But follows what they explained: There are cases where men are already married in the villages or in the United States or wherever...They remarry and the 'wife' is not aware that he is already married...The 'new wife' has a kid or two and the man springs the shocker when he tires of the latest wife. He says: "Bye! I was married before I met you, I am going back to my legally wedded wife"
Is it fair to the 'Other woman' who has been left high and dry, through no fault of hers?
Well, looking at one of the cases that they discussed, I had to concede that maybe the law is worth looking into...But it needs to be discussed and pondered upon a lot lot more...

No comments: