Friday, September 18, 2009

Antarchakshu: A unique workshop



In the picture alongside I am clicked with Mr Partho Bhowmick. He is unique in the sense that he teaches the visually challenged how to click photos with a camera!!!
How? I asked him...He explained that the visually challenged have the other senses much sharper than those who can see! I saw a photo where a visually challenged was clicked on the parapet of Marine Drive, cycling, where he was following the sound of the bycicle in front of him...But the visually challenged also take out photos.
Click on: www.blindwithcamera.org




To experience what the challenged go through...Was made to sit on a Wheelchair and experience the obstacles in the way...They even made me look for a piece of cloth that fell on the floor...pick it up and throw it on a high table. open a lock with one hand, explain with sign language, feel different cloth and idetify whether it is silk, satin, denim, smell and isentify different spices...
Other experiences: With the help of a volunteer walked blindfolded with a stick, Wrote and Signed my name,even hit at a ball with a bat hile trying to hear the ball coming towards me, used a computer, was shown how the visually impaired use a software that talks back to them... also was led to a table with goodies and savoured a samosa and cup cake, blindfolded...must admit that all the time time I was concerned as to how I would climb down the 5 steps that I had climbed up!

Yesterday I had a unique experience.
I was invited to to a workshop called Antarchakshu at St Xaviers College by one of my most inspiring Geeta students Kanchan Pamnani. Though she is visually challenged (Cannot see at all) She is a busy solicitor and managed a photo and mention in a magazine along with eminent women like Sonia Gandhi!

Antarchakshu means: Inner eye and opens your inner eye.
Kanchan in her note addressed to me further added:
... Since you are a friend of mine and a well wisher who wants to be aware I would really like you to attend the programme. It will just take you one hour
I am sure you will have a fun filled 1 hour.

It may have been fun filled but it was laced with making one more sensitive to the plight of the visually challenged!

...Yet it is an inspiring story of coming out winning against odds...Where are we, who can supposedly 'see' in this picture?

No comments: