Monday, January 02, 2006


THE BRUTE IN MAN

Last night I watched some TV.
I heard about some rape incidents, and I also read and saw some violent news around the world.

My heart ached!

My way of healing, is through my pen or rather, my keyboard.

We have all experienced irksome neighbors in our building or neighborhood.

Today, the world has become a neighborhood.

I have learned that when we have to live together we all have to make an effort, to co-exist amicably, for our own sake.

The Pope has said: If you wish to be brothers, let the arms fall from your hands.

One cannot love while holding offensive arms.

I had once asked a hindu spiritual scholar why, animal sacrifice was sanctioned amongst religious practices. He explained to me, that there is a brute element which exists in man. It lies dormant amongst the best of us. It becomes evident and transforms into inhuman behavior when the circumstances ignite it. An animal sacrifice is a symbolic practice to kill the beast within. Another reason for the sacrifice is that the act of killing the animal satisfies the brute instinct which lives in man.

It is I suppose, somewhat worse than hitting a punching bag when angry.

I do not know whether you will agree with the above theory, but I have always wondered how people how enjoy a bull fight. Obviously there must be some truth to the above supposition.

Now, I am not condoning cruelty to animals.

Gandhiji has said: “No doubt religion has to answer for some of the most terrible crimes in history. But that is the fault not of religion but of the ungovernable brute in man.”

I am informed that the Qu’ran 42:43 states: ‘And verily whosoever shows patience and forgives, that would truly be from the things recommended by Allah.’

And last, but not least, the UNESCO constitution declares that ‘Since wars begin in the minds of men, it is in the minds of men that the defenses of peace must be constructed.’

Oh! before I forget: The method to combat the brute in man is simple. One just has to firmly say ‘NO’ to it.

Think about this.


No comments: