Wednesday, July 12, 2006


School children at Mahim Stn in Bombay after bomb blast. (Courtesy: Outlookindia.com Me Mumbaikar)

12th July 2006
I was on my way back from Pune to Bombay,after the Gur Poornima Celebration on the 11th of July. It was about 6.30pm.
As my train scheduled to arrive to arrive at Victoria (Chhatrapati Shivaji) Terminus in another 50 mnts or so, my daughter Anuja called. She did not wish to alarm me at first so she said there had been some trouble in the city...then she said that there were some bomb blasts in trains...and then as she watched the TV screen she exclaimed: Oh my God another and yet another...and yet another...She said get off at Dadar station, then she said, No don't! It is a sensitive area...speak with me until your train leaves Dadar! The phone connection severed...it was difficult to get connected again...I said to my cousin sister Manju, who I love dearly: Do you have any loose ends to tie? But I said that with a smile! I thought to myself, do I? Have any loose ends to tie? Not really. I tell everyone at regular intervals that I love them and I do say sorry if I feel that I am in the wrong.
There were 3 more people with us. One, a lady who got a frantic call from her daughter in the States who said: 'Dont leave the train???!!! Of course she alighted at Dadar. I offered my help by telling her that she could come with us upto CST and my car could drop her at Worli, which is where she lived...but the decision had to be hers. There was a Parsi gentleman who tried to cheer my daughter on the phone by telling her: "Dont worry, we are about to open a bubbly"
Then there was a third gentleman who was connected to powerful politicians...but how could he help? I realized there is only a certain amount that a person can do, however powerful he may be, in situations like this! They helped by making sure that my car had come to receive me at the station, before going home!
I learned a few valuable lessons yesterday...that I am not really afraid to die (Yesterday I was not, who knows about another day?)...and I learned who are the people who truly care for me...those who continued to try calling and enquire about my safety despite horrible internet connections.
Love you all, who knows what tomorrow will bring?
Much love always,
Shakun

I received this by an email:
"Look Back....And Be Grateful to God"
"Look Ahead ...And Trust in God"
"Look Inside...And See God"
"Look Around ...And Serve God"....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»