Friday, March 06, 2009



Holi falls on the 10th of March...The colour fun is on the 11th of March

In Barsana (Radhaji's birthplace) Holi is called 'Lath Maar' where the womenfolk have a rolicking time using bamboo sticks to keep the menfolk under their control.
Holi is observed a fortnight after Mahashivratri I have already told you in my earlier messages what Holi means: Jo ho li so Ho li, which means allow Bygones to be bygones. The new piece of information that I am about to share with you, is that dry sticks and cow dung is put into the Holika bonfire. Corn seeds are burnt, until they lose their power to germinate. To me, the above would mean that, one is not to allow old 'old seeds of dissent to take birth again' But to bury the hatchet once and for all. I was informed by a friend yesterday, that the burnt corn seeds are taken home, and shown to the parents, and blessings taken from them. Maybe it is to say: 'See mom and dad! I have learned to forgive, forget and move on…'
Read more,
Click:
http://www.dalsabzi.com/Language_Festivals/Holi.htm

No comments: