Friday, August 05, 2011







Have known Nandita Bhavnani and her parents for many years and have been particularly impressed by Nandita's passion to keep the Sindhi culture and language alive. So you can imagine how excited I was when I received the following invitation:

I am delighted to invite you to the launch of my book "I Will & I Can: The Story of Jai Hind College".
The book will be released by HE the Governor of Maharashtra on Wed 27th July at 5.30 in the college auditorium.
Hope to see you there!
Nandita Bhavnani

Ofcourse I attended.
Nandita looked radiant!
Having been an ex-student of Jai Hind College I thoroughly enjoyed the book. In fact it brought tears to my eyes. Was particularly fascinated at the grit and determination of the pioneers, amongst them Principal T.M. Advani(despite having next to nothing) to rebuild the college. I say rebuild, because besides leaving behind our (Sindi's) possessions we also had to bid adieu to D.J. Sindh College.
When I was a student of Jai Hind College,I always thought that the motto should be 'I can and I will' rather than 'I will and I can'
Was thrilled to know the reason.
The motto 'I can and I will' had been the motto of Model High School in Karachi...Principal Advani gave it a deep thought and changed it to 'I will and I can'...Excuse me I need to stop typing...I need to wipe my eyes and puff my chest with pride!

No comments: